Thursday, January 22, 2009

Fasting!

Our leaders have called for a day of fasting tomorrow, so I decided to study about fasting today to get my heart prepared. I was very encouraged and convicted at the same time. When I read the examples of fasting throughout the book of Acts it is very clear that fasting was an important and frequent part of the disciples lives. This really convicted me because I have fasted on my own only a few times in 15 years as a Christian. The rest of the times it has been like tomorrow, fasting when I am called to fast. I have had many reasons that I should have fasted but didn't. In Isaiah 58 it seems like the people only fasted when they wanted something, but the rest of the time they ignored God. Then they got angry when God did not answer them.

"If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the Lord's day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the Lord, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob." -Isaiah 58:13-14

I have written many times about lacking this "joy" and I can see why in this passage. I do not find living for God a delight or an honor. I do speak idle words and I do as I please. I know that, in general, I try to be a "good" disciple, but I do the very minimum, if that, and I do it for the wrong reasons most of the time. I can be like the person who does everything in vain because my heart is far from God. I am so grateful to God and His Word that leads me and reveals my heart and gives me direction so I can stop "going my own way" and go His way! Tomorrow will be a new day and the beginning of a life of true fasting to help bring me closer to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment